You must have heard about the term “bronchial asthma” and wondered to know the true meaning of it. When we talk about bronchial asthma, we are actually talking about asthma that is a chronic inflammatory disease which causes the airways to swell. It leads to coughing, wheezing, tightness of chest and breathlessness. Are you aware of the fact that, there exist Natural Home Remedies for Asthma Attack?
Table of Contents
Common signs and symptoms of Bronchial Asthma
A person with bronchial asthma may show one of more of the following symptoms.
- Breathlessness or shortness of breath
- Tightness of Chest
Natural Home Remedies for Asthma Attack
Ginger is an important ingredient for the natural treatment of various ailments including asthma. Studies indicate that ginger helps reduce the inflammation in the airways. This constitutes one of the important ingredients of Home Remedies for Asthma Attack.
- Mix together an equal quantity of honey, ginger juice, and pomegranate juice. Intake of one tablespoon of this two or three times a day is really helpful.
- You can also go ahead and mix one teaspoon of ground ginger in one and a half cup of water and consume one tablespoon of this at bedtime.
- Cut ginger into small pieces and boil it for five minutes. Allow this mixture to cool and then drink.
- Boil one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water and mix one teaspoon of ginger and honey to it. Allow to cool and drink this every morning and evening. This will help detoxify your lungs.
- You can also try eating raw ginger by mixing it with salt.
2) Mustard Oil
Mustard oil works miracles for asthma patients and acts excellently as Home Remedies for Asthma Attack cases. If you face an asthmatic attack, one can clear the respiratory airway and restore back normal breathing by simply massaging mustard oil on the back.
- Mix mustard oil with some camphor and heat it together.
- Remove it in a bowl and let it cool. When it is a warm enough for you, gently massage this mix on your upper back and chest.
- Continue this several times a day for best results.
Figs help drain phlegm and promote respiratory health.
- Wash and soak three dried figs overnight in a cup of water.
- Consume these soaked figs and drink the fig water on an empty stomach when you wake up in the morning.
- For effective results continue this for couple of months
Try the below-suggested remedy to get rid of congestion in lungs during the early stages of asthma. It is a very potent and known Home Remedies for Asthma Attack cases.
- Take one-quarter cup of milk and boil two or three garlic cloves.
- Allow this mixture to cool and then drink it.
- The caffeine in coffee helps control asthma attacks by clearing the airways and making breathing easier.
- Although coffee works a remedy for asthma do not consume more than three cups of black coffee in a day.
- For those you do not like coffee, they can go for a cup of black tea.
- It not advisable to use caffeine as a regular treatment for asthma.
6) Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil has a decongestant property which makes it effective for asthma treatment. Eucalyptol the chemical component in eucalyptus can help break mucus.
- All you need to do is put few drops of eucalyptus oil on a paper towel and place it beside your head. This will help you breathe in the aroma.
- Alternatively, you can also boil a pot of water and add two or three drops of eucalyptus oil to air. Breathe in the steam as deep as you can for faster and better results.
Honey is one of the oldest and the most adopted methods of nature cures for asthma.
- Take a glass of water and mix one teaspoon of honey in it. Drink this mixture for about three times a day. For few even inhaling the smell of honey generates positive results.
- Have one teaspoon of honey mixed with half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder before to go to bed. This will allow you sleep well by removing the phlegm in your throat.
The anti- inflammatory property in onions helps reduce constriction of the airways for those suffering from asthma. Onions also help decrease the inflammation in lungs.
- Consume raw onions, this will easily help you clear your air passage and will help you to breathe better. Try eating cooked onions if you find it difficult to eat them raw.
Deficiency of vitamin C is usually observed in asthmatic. Lemons being rich in vitamins and antioxidants prove to be an ideal source for treating asthma symptoms. This constitutes yet another important one of the ingredient of Home Remedies for Asthma Attack.
- Simply squeeze half a lemon in a glass of water and add sugar that suits your taste. This mixture of lemon, sugar, and water regularly will help you cope with asthma attacks.
- Some other fruits like orange, blueberries, strawberries and papayas also share as a rich source of nutrients and help minimize the symptoms of asthma.
10) Carom Seeds
Carom seeds are ideal for mild asthma and act as a good Home Remedies for Asthma Attack.
- Inhale the steam of one teaspoon of carom seeds by boiling it in water. You can consume it as well.
- Wrap a handful of carom seeds in a piece a cloth and heat in the microwave for few seconds. Cool it as per your need and then place these warm carom seeds on your chest and neck until it cools down completely. Repeat this daily for satisfactory results.
- An alternate option is to mix the paste of carom seeds and jaggery and heat this well. Continue to eat one or two teaspoons of this mix twice for few days. This remedy is not recommended for diabetic patients.
The above Natural Home Remedies for Asthma Attack, particularly for Bronchial Asthma cases, control and soothes the disease to a greater extent. However, it is always advisable for the patients to seek the expert advice of a practicing medical specialist for his on hand case to case basis opinion and advice.
Courtesy: This article has been published as a guest post, as received from Dr. Avni Deshmukh, who is a practicing medical consultant in Mumbai (India).